Friday, April 9, 2010

My health is like the IRS

Needs, schmeeds. Who needs rest and nutrition when you've got a new apartment, coffee, Red Bull, and donuts? When we're under extreme stress, proper health and nutrition is often one of the first things we throw out the window. We may skip exercise, eat more, sleep less, and maybe even add cigarettes and booze to help cope.

I haven't moved in five years, and I forgot how taxing the whole process is. Lack of sleep, packing, unpacking, clutter, and every other luxury that comes along with moving, has turned me into a sugar-seeking, caffeine fueled, unhealthy little stress bomb who's about to explode or die. I need to take my health back into my own hands.

This morning, while putting my 1099s together to file my taxes, a lightbulb went off in my head. My health is just like income taxes. Whether I move, change jobs, get sick, or turn into a vegetable, my intake and expenditures are all accounted for in the end. I cannot cheat the system; therefore, I must be both fiscally and physically responsible.

1 comment: